For seeds should be left on cucumber plant not more than two or three cucumbers which:
- the early fruit inception;
- has а regular form;
- has a proper size;
- has other signs, characteristic for the given cucumber breed.
The remaining cucumbers, flowers and ovaries are removed.
Selected seed-bearing plants are marked, and the cucumbers are left on bines until the autumn frosts. Within summer it is necessary:
- to weed out the weeds;
- to loosen soil;
- to pin bines to the ground;
- to water the plants;
- to fertilize right after selecting the seed-bearing plants through two or three weeks (3 tbsp of superphosphate and 6 tbsp of oven ashes in a bucket of water).
Before the onset of frost:
- seed-bearing cucumbers should be relocated in a warm and well ventilated room;
- when the cucumbers will be dark yellow, will become soft, contents are took in a bowl with water and left few days to fermentation, changing the water every other day;
- once the mass is strongly begun to foam, cucumber seeds are laid on a sieve;
- the seeds are thoroughly washed with running water;
- the seeds are laid on the canvas and put under the sun. During drying, cucumber seeds should be mixed constantly;
- finally cucumber seeds are dried at the stove.
- the seeds are stored in a dry place.
From 10kg of cucumbers can be obtained 120-150g seeds.
See alsoTOMATO SEEDS. HOW TO GET?