Naked slugs (snails) are dangerous pests of vegetable plants. In cool rainy weather on kitchen garden snails happens especially much. Slugs strongly damage cabbage, carrots, parsley, a beet, pepper, a cucumber, an eggplant, peas, a string bean, salad, other vegetables, a potato. They eat away oblong holes in leaves. In root crops, fruits and tubers of a potato slugs do deep cavities. Slugs conduct a nocturnalism. In the daytime Slugs usually hide under soil lumps, plants. At night slugs leave refuges and damage plants. The damaged root crops and tubers rot.
To get rid of slugs:
- Between beds after rains scatter a strip slaked lime, wood ashes or superphosphate powder in the evening,
- After 30-40 minutes such processing should be repeated,
- It is possible to use also baits - to scatter between beds of a crust of a water-melon, a melon, a pumpkin. Slugs, catching a pleasant smell, quickly slip from plants and pass to new juicy and sweet forage, willingly eating it. Early in the morning collect them and destroy.
- It is necessary to avoid crops thickening,
- Carefully to weed weeds,
- In due time to delete from a site the postpicking rests, which also are in use as a refuge for slugs.